BUSINESS SUCCESSION PLANNING
A business succession plan outlines what will happen and who will take over your business when you leave, whether by choice or by circumstance. The aim is to provide the business with a smooth transition so that disruption is minimised.
Each business is different of course, but you will likely need to consider:
Goals and objectives of all parties
- Do you require an ongoing income from the business?
- Will you have any future involvement in the company?
- Who is interested in taking over?
- What impact will there be on all members of your family?
Identify your potential successors
- Objectively assess their capability, needs, commitment, skills and experience
Consider all the angles
- Minimising Capital Gains Tax, Stamp Duty and Income Tax for you and your family and remaining partners
- Retirement income planning
- Financial implications of business transfer
- What will happen in the case of catastrophic injury or death?
Corporate structure issues
- Define roles and responsibilities of current family members and employees
- Plan to increase the value of the business particularly if it is to be sold
- What are the training or mentoring needs of your successor?
- How will you exit and by when?
We can help
These are complex issues, spanning legal, financial and management arenas. At Bellco Law we can help make sure you have covered all bases.
Contact us to find out more or to arrange a consultation with an experienced business succession solicitor in Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast or Brisbane.